Monday, May 26, 2008

So I've been reading this liiiittle book about this liiiiitle word

For the past week or so, I've been reading a book called The Smell of Sin (and the Fresh Air of Grace) by Don Everts. It's been fun to read, and it's kept me interested (which many books can not do).

Yeah, I don't really remember most of what I've read so far, especially the beginning (I'm like halfway through). But I wanted to write down my thoughts about the stuff I'm reading now, because it's making me want to change things about the way I live.

The part that really got me thinking talked about how Jesus is the light. If we obey his commands, then we're in the light! If we sin, then we're lost, and we're kinda blind. Don's description of a sheep without a shepard (which is from the bible) kinda hit me hard. He described a sheep that had fallen on it's side. To quote, "If he trips and falls on his side, he could lie there and die, never knowing why the field has suddenly gone sideways. He has absolutely no capacity, in and of himself, to regain his equilibrium." According to the bible, Jesus sees us as lost sheep.

When I think about how this applies to me, I get a little nervous and worried. What scares me is the thought that I have fallen on my side or become blind and I am unaware of that fact. If I've fallen on my side and I don't know it, I'm screwed - how will I know that I'm in need of help?

This aspect of sin gives me real consequences for my life. It makes sin heavy on my heart/mind. It makes me want to not sin. Instead of being helpless, I'd rather be able to see clearly and base my actions on what's true instead of on my skewed perception of things.

So... what to do now?

5 comments:

Celeste said...

so what little word are we talking about again? thinking about sin this way is veery interesting. i think i've become pretty fatalistic about sinning, only cos i know no matter how hard i try i'm going to keep on doing it. that doesn't mean i do whatever the hell i want, but yes. i'd like to know how to reconcile this "sin" thing, and how i, incapable in and of myself to save myself from being forever helplessly laying on my side... umm, as usual i don't really think what i'm saying makes sense, but don't be discouraged! :D

Jessica said...

hey ekim, joseph told me about your blog, so i had to see for myself! :) i think blogging is a great format for you; i have consistently been impressed by your transparency in community. and kudos for taking initiative with your discipleship over the summer pre-LAUP! great realization that thoughts need to precede ACTION! wow lots of affirmation for you. yay.

JFC said...

My two "favorite" (RE: most vivid and convicting) images in that book are the breakfast and the picnic images...probably because they're about food. But also just because they are just flat out rough in your mind...eating rocks? spitting in your mother's face? What do you think?

Vicky said...

oh I do agree that I hate feeling helpless when confronting issues of sin. Sometimes I spend so much time berating myself for all the horrible things I do and my numerous shortcomings. But as my friend says, GOY. Get over yourself, sonny! (I added the sonny). It's not about us. It's about what Jesus did, and that kinda changes things. So basically, he told me to just concentrate on God and what He can do in the world if we let him! Pray and let God tell you what to do- it's not like we could figure out how to flop back on our feet and be happy sheep anyway.
Thanks for bringing the issue up. It's something I've been wrestling with, too! Please continue updating your status on this sin thing. :)

Daniel Groot said...

Sup Eric,
Just discovered your blog! i agree, it is a good format for you to get your thoughts out. Thanks for your reflections on the paralytic and on sin.
Just a thought... so we're like sheep w/ almost no perspective and in need of a shepherd. We have a sin ish'. And then we have the audacity of the paralytics friend, breaking and entering and hauling their friend before Jesus and what does he do.
He sees the faith of the friends and tells the dude "your sins are forgiven". Seems like God's main response to our audacity is to give us exactly what we need.