Friday, December 19, 2008

Following Jesus and honoring your parents

I should probably read that IVP book titled "Following Jesus without dishonoring your parents."

I'm going to try to encapsulate many big thoughts in this blog. We'll see how this goes. PS: this post is long as hell. And possibly a bit incoherent.

I have been feeling down about my relationship with my dad. Since my second day back home, my dad has been unhappy about the way I spend my time (going out to hang out with friends a lot, spending lots of time in front of the computer, sleeping in), and he has shown it. You see, he always tells me that my break should be spent to its absolute fullest - developing my talents, reading good books - and that sleeping in is a waste of that precious, precious time. In his unhappiness, he is pretty quiet around me and gives me looks/noises of disapproval. In turn, I have been feeling hurt and bitter. So I've justified myself and looked down on my dad.

In addition, whenever my mom and I talk about my future career, we both end up getting pretty emotional and kind of hurt by each other. My parents and I both wonder when I will come to a decision about a career path post-grad. But my parents are more worried and anxious about it. And my own thoughts don't really lead me anywhere closer to a decision, but I insist that I have to figure these things out and that I can't make a decision without sufficient reasoning. I'm frustrated with myself and somehow hurt by the expectations my parents have of me.

Well, I had another talk with my mom tonight. She gave me a new perspective on my dad. She shared with me the ways that my dad is affected by his own upbringing and his father's strict rule. It helped me see that some of the ways my dad relates to me isn't just out of anger/disappointment/annoyance with me but that they are sometimes out of wanting good things for me. It also helped me to see that my dad has different expectations for a healthy relationship with me. For the past year or so, I've felt bitter about the lack of closeness that I perceived in our relationship - there's usually very little display of concern over how we're doing and conversation isn't about who I am but about what I am going to do with my life. But now I see a little more that my dad and mom express their care for me primarily by worrying about my future and doing whatever they can to help towards a good one. I wonder where relating through conversation is ranked on their list of important ways of caring for their son. Somehow, over the last couple years, that has risen to the top of MY list.

You see, before coming to college, I might have been dissatisfied with my relationship with my parents, but that dissatisfaction has grown immensely over the last two years. I think a lot of that has to do with exposure to American culture. Although I've lived in California my whole life, I've always been sheltered in a major Asian community. I always went to a Korean church, and my close friends were always at least Asian if not Korean. Professors/advisors at Oxy have been a part of my exposure to this culture where people put the utmost importance on how you view/think/feel about things. But I think that Intervarsity has been the biggest influence in that area. It was in IVCF that I was taught that it is important to 1) ask your friends how they are doing and 2) share deeply when they ask how you are doing in return. For the first time in my church background, the emphasis was on how leadership roles would be good for MY spiritual growth, not on how my skills would benefit OTHERS' spiritual growth.

And I have to admit, this experience of being poured into and cared for was like a gush of life-giving water (for many reasons, but I won't go into my history in too much detail). But somehow, I feel, I fell so much in love with this way of life that I was ready to discredit and abandon many of the values that I had been raised in. I was so quick to point out the sin/brokenness in the ways that my family and church related with me that I failed to see the good in them. And that is just too darn bad.

Anyways, at this point I feel the desire to ease my parents' concern for me. Why don't I just decide to make medical school my goal? I don't really have any objections to the profession. There are so many different fields. And although it's four years of intense studying, I actually enjoy learning, so as long as it's not boring as hell it might not be that bad. Everyone will be happy then, right? I feel like that would ease so much of my relational strains with my parents.

But there are still lots of questions I have.
What does it look like to follow Jesus in this situation? I have no idea what he would think about my decision.
How do I know where my relationship with my parents is broken? Some of areas that I see as broken are not considered as being broken by my parents. Which cultural value lens do I use to judge and discern?

I need guidance. From God, and from you, my community.

8 comments:

Caroline said...

Wow Eric. This post is amazingly insightful. You're asking some good questions. Keep asking!

I'm also amazed at how clearly and effectively you've articulated yourself here. Seriously dude.

Jessica said...

Hi Eric! SO glad you're posting again! :) I think there's always this cultural disconnect between the younger and older generation. But seeing their care and love for you in tangible ways is always a good first step. :) In terms of possible career, I recommend Courage and Calling by Gordon T. Smith. It asks the question, what are you passionate about? Where do you see God working in the world? Do that!

Vicky said...

THAT WAS SO COOL. Thank you for your honesty and clarity on the issue. wahh! That was a good piece of writing, which is always an exciting thing.

I really resonated with the shifts in perspective coming into college with an "Asian" background. I felt some of the same tensions coming back on the weekends and noticing that there are some definite differences in the way my parents and IV interact with problems and situations. The problem has mostly been resolved in my family, I think, because my mom loves to share deep things. It's harder to share and ask about my dad, but if I am patient with my questions, the stories come out one by one. The care he has for me begins to reveal itself when I slow down and try looking at life not from a collegiate, American-demanding perspective, but from one of patience and love. I think praying, waiting, and appreciating the thoughtful pauses between sentences in a dialogue really helps. I still have a long way to go, and I know that we are in different situations, but this is just my experience so far.

med school: pray. some stuff from "too busy not to pray"-
knowing when it's God's leading
1. all leadings that come from God are consistent with His word
2. God's leadings are usually consistent with the person he made you to be.
3. God's leadings usually involve servanthood.

I've found it's helpful to spend from half an hour to an hour just praying about certain questions and bringing it before God.

God bless :) will be praying for you.

JFC said...

You hit it right on in regards to your explanation of the cultural dissonance between you and your parents. That is, your desire to be cared for (i.e. talking and connecting deeply about your life) in direct conflict with the ways that your parents are caring for you (i.e. talking about their deep concern about your future).

Keep wrestling. It's definitely worth your time. Thanks for posting again.

p.s. i'm jobless for the time being, so feel free to call me up if you're around if you wanna hang.

Vanessa said...

hey e. thanks for sharing that stuff because i feel like you just put words to what so many of us feel/have felt/resonate with..i know before coming to college i definitely clashed with my parents about a lot of stuff. and i think what it came down to was what you mentioned: that misunderstanding between us in how they were trying to love me and how I felt like I needed to be loved - their concern for my future and their intense questioning that seemed to me to be a probing test to see if I had myself figured out and could handle life on my own. but actually to them, they were trying to love me in the ways they knew best and in the way that they thought was best for me. Seeing how they were trying to love me in that way (rather than seeing them as people I had to prove myself to) helped get rid of some of the bitterness that I had towards them. also, confessing to them that I really didn't have my life figured out, that i didn't know what I wanted to major in or do after college and that I would like their help and for them to join me in prayer for that helped me see them more as partners in my journey as well. ah, there's more i could write, but for now i'll just say that i agree with everyone, friend. continue to bring it before Jesus and listen to Him patiently. He'll challenge you and give you guidance and wisdom. I will be praying for you as well.

xiaoxiao said...

Eric you are definetely not alone in your confusion. I'm pretty confused with my relationship with my parents right now too. Even though I should have understood where they came from, their family background etc. it still hits me sometimes that they really don't care for me the way that most of my friends do. It is hard for my parents to give love in a way that they have not received, and I think I can never alter the past and change who my parents are. To understand them better help me to have compassion and forgive the ways that they have hurt me, but ultimately brokeness is part of life I think. I think healing and restoration can happen, I see that happening in my relationship with my parents this summer and somewhat in yours too, but it will never be "perfect" untill the final day of restoration.

Daniel Groot said...

Hi Eric,

Loved the post. To echo what other's are saying here, realizing the way your parents' communicate love is important! Being able to receive that, and feel loved by them in the midst of that is important.

Should you go to med school? I think that honoring your parents thoughts is important and in this case it means taking their thoughts seriously. Whose ultimate decision is it? it's yours and it's between you and God.

I have some other thoughts too... but honestly I am just really impressed with your understanding of your parents' perspective and I hope that you can continue to grow in wisdom and peace about your future choices and direction.

Daniel

Lester said...

Oh Eric. You know what I chose. :P I'm not saying that our situations are exactly alike (They're very different in a lot of ways), but I did think some of your thoughts at one point (I was a bit more dramatic about stuff than you are though.)

Having come from an Asian country, I too was enamored by the whole "how-are-you-feeling" thing, and it took me a while to appreciate the culture that I grew up in. Since then, I've been trying to find a balance between the two that best suits my temperament and situation.

I won't tell you whether or not you should go to med school; I know what it feels like to have too many people telling you what to do with your life. (Look at the bright side: you know you have an incredible life because so many people want to live through you.) However, I do encourage you to keep thinking and to keep writing (This entry is really well-written and honest.), and to eventually make a decision.

Take care.